Val's Munchies

When someone offers you a tic tac - take it. I want to grab life by the crack and lick all the crap out of it! (thanks Barney! lol) I love spending time with my wonderful, loving family, learning more and more each day about my gracious, loving God! I guess I want to start using this blog not only for the crazy things that happen to me, but to share my journey with the Lord...Welcome to my life!

Monday, January 30, 2006

A hint of style...

Okay, this is something that has been bugging me for the past week…I thought I would share and inform!

I have recently come in contact with a couple people in our office who clearly have absolutely no clue about design styles! Alright – to most of you reading this you don’t know a whole lot about design styles – granted – you’ve never been to design school. I won’t judge you. But people who work day in and day out in the field of Kitchen Design should know a little something about what they are talking about, wouldn’t you agree? I thought so.

Here’s the down-lo:

Designing a contemporary kitchen in Saskatoon – apparently uses dentil crown mould, raised panel doors, fancy corbels…What is wrong with this picture? Uh, HELLO? The crown mould? The raised panel doors? The fancy corbels? ALL OF IT IS WRONG! Yes! That’s right, these are the people I work with.

I found a definition of what ‘Contemporary’ means – “belonging to the same period of time” – what the heck does that mean? Apparently this is Saskatoon’s definition of what contemporary design is.

Here are some examples of what I’m sure they’d say is contemporary.


The kitchen above is clearly traditional...Although simple - it's not contemporary. The picture below is kind of transitional - but it seems it's trying to be contemporary - however with that china hutch in the corner that is clearly fancy and traditional creates a mishmash. Actually - this dining room just becomes more and more ugly each time I look at it!


Here is another definition I found – the one I agree with, “a design that features streamlined shapes, large unadorned windows and industrial materials” or “ a minimalistic style”.
So here are some pictures to explain to you what I think looks contemporary! Hope you like!
















I mean…How do you tell people who have been around a bit longer than you – that their design taste is – AWFUL!? Any ideas? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

4 Comments:

  • At January 30, 2006 2:23 PM, Blogger A few words about Lisa.... said…

    Yeah I agree Val. I didnt go to design school and I even know what comtemp is. Wow some of those pic's at the end were HOT!!! I dont like blue and I loved that blue kitchen!!!!!!! I keep thinking about yourdessert snacky thing you brought to Annas last time. It was amazing.

     
  • At January 31, 2006 2:59 PM, Blogger Stephen said…

    I COULDN'T AGREE MORE! If it's going to be contemporary... I say get rid of the appliances, the chairs, the table, the tablecloth, the placemats, the counters, the colours, the people... let's just have a floor, and I only say that because otherwise it would be dirt.

    Now THAT'S streamlined ;)

    Crazy artsy-fartsy types ;)

     
  • At February 01, 2006 10:32 PM, Blogger Andrew said…

    wow, if only my sims could have contemp homes like that. *DROOL*. oh wow, that blue kitchen was amazing. Later days

     
  • At February 21, 2006 1:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    OK.. so I'm out of the loop and posting VERY LATE!!! How about a quick trip to my area (not immediate.. my house is old... more like vicinity) and a few downtown condos. Yikes. I think older people are scared of what might be called contemporary now because it makes them look really, really old. btw.. i really want a bath!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home